SWISS CHARD, CHICKPEA, AND RICOTTA TOAST
Summer brings forth vegetables of all colors, with rainbow swiss chard as a primary example. Keep it fluffy and vibrant, folded into chickpeas and fresh tomato.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ each yellow onion, julienne
3 each garlic cloves, minced
1 pinch dried chili flake (optional)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 bunch rainbow swiss chard, de-stemmed and chopped
¼ cup basil, torn
½ tbsp red wine vinegar
2 pinches sea salt
to taste freshly ground black pepper
6 slices semolina or any crusty bread
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch sea salt
to taste ricotta
1. Warm olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
2. Sweat onion julienne and minced garlic. Season with a pinch of sea salt, a few cracks of black pepper, and chili flakes. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add sliced cherry tomatoes. Season with another pinch of salt. Continue cooking until tomatoes soften and release their liquid, 4-5 minutes.
4. Add chickpeas and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook together until the liquid reduces to a sauce consistency.
5. Remove from heat and fold in rainbow swiss chard. Continue to fold until swiss chard wilts. Briefly return to the heat, if necessary. Season to taste with basil, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper. Reserve warm.
6. Season each slice of bread with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Grill or toast under the broiler until golden brown. Generously slather each slice with ricotta. Spoon swiss chard and chickpeas over the top. Finish with a sprinkle of grated parmesan or pecorino.