SWEET POTATO RICOTTA GNOCCHI
If gnocchi wasn’t already your favorite pasta, here are two reasons why it will be from now on: sweet potato + ricotta. Enjoy them with your favorite sauce or simply tossed in brown butter with lemon.
1 lb sweet potato
1 cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp sea salt
⅛ tsp fresh nutmeg
1 ½ cup all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place ricotta in a colander over a bowl to drain excess liquid for at least 30 minutes.
3. Wrap sweet potato tightly in foil and bake until completely tender, approximately 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, peel, and mash until smooth.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, add mashed sweet potato, strained ricotta, parmesan cheese, salt and nutmeg. Mix well.
4. Gradually fold in the all purpose flour until a dough forms. Do not overwork.
5. Wrap the bowl tightly in plastic wrap, and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces.
7. Using both hands, roll each piece into ropes about 1 inch thick.
8. Cut each rope into 1 inch pieces, lightly dust with a little more flour, and transfer to a baking sheet.
9. Fill a large pot with 4 quarts of water. Season generously with sea salt, and bring to a boil.
10. Drop gnocchi into the water, making sure the pieces do not stick to one another. Once the gnocchi start to float, strain.
11. Finish gnocchi in your favorite sauce or with brown butter and lemon.