SWEET AND SPICY BRAISED KALE
A little sweet, and a little heat! A really nice and easy braise that can be used as a side dish or main dish.
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ each red onion, sliced
2 each garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp honey
1-2 bunches kale, cleaned, destemmed, and roughly chopped
1 pinch dried chili flake
½ cup beef / chicken / vegetable stock
½ tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
to taste salt
1. Warm vegetable oil over medium high heat in a medium saute pan.
2. Add red onion. Stir once, then only occasionally to allow the onions to develop color and caramelize, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Once the onions start to brown, turn the heat down to medium and add minced garlic. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Stir in honey into onions and garlic, and saute for another 2-3 minutes to fully incorporate.
5. Add chopped kale, season with a pinch of salt and dried chili flake, and saute for 2 minutes.
6. Once the kale begins to wilt, add stock, turn the heat down to medium low, and cover with a lid. Braise kale for 5-6 minutes.
7. As soon as the kale is fully tender, finish with soy sauce or tamari and apple cider vinegar.