SUMMER LETTUCE TACOS
Light and crisp, but also sturdy, lettuce is a perfect cup to hold and wrap an array of delicious ingredients. Start summer off right with spiced ground turkey, pickled onion, and avocado tucked inside.
1 cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
2 tsp sea salt
1 pinch dried chili flake
½ each dry bay leaf
1 each medium yellow onion
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 each medium yellow onion, diced small
4 each garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp turmeric
⅛ tsp cayenne (optional)
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ cup chicken broth
2 pinches sea salt
Summer Lettuce Tacos
1-2 leaves lettuce
¼ each avocado, sliced thinly
1 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp spiced turkey
1 tbsp pickled onions
1 pinch fresh cilantro
to taste lime juice
For the Pickled Onions:
1. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a saucepot. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil.
2. Peel and cut yellow onion into thin strips, about ¼ inch wide. Place in a bowl or a glass jar with a lid.
3. Once the vinegar solution comes to a boil, add chili flakes and dry bay leaf.
4. Turn off the heat and immediately pour over the cut onions. Set aside.
5. Allow onions to sit in pickling liquid for at least 30-40 minutes or refrigerate for 3-4 hours, covered.
For the Spiced Turkey:
1. Warm a medium saute pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
2. Add ground turkey. Season with a pinch of salt.
3. Allow meat to brown, breaking up any clumps. After 3 minutes, transfer to a plate or tray lined with paper towel. Reserve.
4. In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, and warm over medium heat.
5. Add diced onion and minced garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
6. Add ground spices, saute 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and add 1 minute more.
7. Deglaze with chicken broth. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the liquid cooks to sauce consistency. Season with sea salt.
1. Separate and clean the lettuce leaves. Be sure to drain any excess water.
2. Arrange lettuce leaves on a plate and fill with sliced avocado and sour cream.
3. Add spiced turkey. Top with pickled onions, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.