Spicy Fresh Tomato Spaghetti
When summer brings her full bounty, you just don’t mess with it too much. Here is a quickly-cooked fresh tomato pasta that pays proper respect to the most bountiful season.
¼ pound dry spaghetti
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup garlic, thinly sliced
1 pinch dried chili flakes
1 pinch dried oregano
1 each fresno chili, de-seeded and sliced thinly
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 ½ tsp spicy pickled peppers, chopped
1/3 cup pasta water, plus more to adjust
⅓ cup basil leaves, torn
½ tsp salt
1. In a stockpot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Season generously with sea salt.
2. Cook dry spaghetti according to the package.
3. Meanwhile, warm extra virgin olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat.
4. Add sliced garlic, and cook until the slices turn golden. Add dried chili flakes and dried oregano.
5. Increase the heat to medium high, and add sliced fresno and halved cherry tomatoes. Season with sea salt. Saute until the tomatoes break down and a sauce develops, approximately 6 minutes.
6. Once the spaghetti is al dente, reserve ⅓ cup pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add to tomato sauce.
7. Add spaghetti to tomato sauce. Finish the sauce with spicy pickled peppers and torn basil leaves. Finish cooking spaghetti in tomato sauce. Adjust consistency of the sauce with reserved pasta water.
8. Season to taste, garnish with whole basil leaves or your favorite cheese.