SPICY BROCCOLI STIR FRY
Lemon / garlic may be one of broccoli’s best faces, make no mistake - but ginger / chili / garlic is a strong contender. Feel free to add any of your other favorite vegetables.
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 head broccoli, cut into florets and stems thinly sliced, separated
½ cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp ginger, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ fresh chili, sliced into rings (jalapeno, fresno, serrano, thai bird chili all work!)
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
½ tbsp water
½ tsp fish sauce (optional)
½ lime, juiced
⅓ cup basil and cilantro leaves, torn
1. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce or tamari, water, and fish sauce. Set aside.
2. Warm a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
3. Add broccoli florets only, and toss in oil. Saute for 1 minute.
4. Turn the heat down to medium, add vegetable stock, and cover with a lid, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes or until the broccoli starts to get tender.
5. Remove the lid, turn the heat back up to medium high, until any excess liquid evaporates. Add broccoli stem slices. Saute 1 minute.
6. Make a space in the middle of the broccoli. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, and saute the ginger and garlic, about 2 minutes.
7. Add the thai bird chili, and toss all ingredients together in the pan.
8. Remove from heat and add soy sauce mixture. Stir the ingredients to coat.
9. Finish with fresh lime juice and torn herbs.