SPAGHETTI WITH BROCCOLI, ARUGULA, AND LEMON
Spaghetti may have universal appeal, but here, broccoli steals the show. Bright lemon and peppery arugula also play strong supporting roles.
½ lb spaghetti
1 ea broccoli, separated into florets and thinly sliced stem
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch dried chili flake (optional)
2 pinch sea salt
2 tbsp butter (optional)
1 lemon, zest
½ lemon, juice
1 handful arugula
pecorino cheese, grated, to taste.
1. Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Cool the pasta according to the directions on the package.
3. Meanwhile, chop broccoli florets and stem pieces in a food processor. Reserve.
4. Warm a large saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil.
5. Add minced garlic, and saute until fragrant.
6. Add chili flake and chopped broccoli. Season with salt and saute for 3-4 minutes.
7. Once pasta is cooked, drain from the water, reserving ¼ cup.
8. Add the pasta, butter, and reserved water to the pan with the broccoli. Cook for 1 minute, stirring to draw out the starch in the pasta.
9. Remove from heat and finish with lemon juice and zest. Add arugula, toss everything together, and transfer immediately to a bowl.
10. Finish with grated pecorino cheese.