ROASTED GREEN BEANS WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO
With spring comes all the sweet and tender green vegetables. First up is green beans, simply roasted, then dressed in a deeply flavorful pesto made with sun-dried tomato and almonds. Feel free to substitute any other spring vegetables as they become available.
Roasted Green Beans
1lb green beans, washed and trimmed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
6 cracks freshly ground black pepper
Sundried Tomato Pesto
1 each garlic clove
⅛ cup blanched almonds
¼ cup sun-dried tomato
3 tbsp water
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
⅓ cup basil leaves, packed
¼ tsp sherry vinegar
1 pinch sea salt
¼ tsp sugar (optional)
Roasted Green Beans:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place an empty baking sheet in the oven while it preheats.
2. Toss the beans in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. It should be very hot. Carefully lay out the seasoned green beans onto the baking tray as quickly as possible, and return the tray to the oven.
4. Roast beans for 10-12 minutes, giving the tray a shake half way through.
Sundried Tomato Pesto:
1. While the beans are roasting, combine garlic, almonds, sundried tomato, water, and olive oil in athe food processor. Process into a sauce that is smooth, but textured.
2. Add basil leaves, process until combined.
3. Finish pesto with vinegar, salt, and sugar (optional).
4. Once beans are roasted, toss in sun-dried tomato pesto to coat. Serve warm or at room temp.
Pro Tip: If using dry packed sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrate in warm water for at least an hour before use.