ROASTED ASPARAGUS WITH LEMON BREADCRUMBS
Let’s face it–asparagus is best simply prepared, either roasted or grilled. So keep the rest of the dish and your life simple, and top your simple spears with lemony, cheesy breadcrumbs.
2 tbsp butter
1 each garlic clove, smashed
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 each thyme sprig
½ each rosemary sprig
½ each lemon, zested
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chopped parsley
¼ tsp sea salt
8 cracks freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch asparagus
½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch sea salt
to taste freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch dried chili flake (optional)
For the Lemon Breadcrumbs:
1. In a medium saute pan, warm butter over medium heat.
2. Once the butter is melted and starts to get foamy, add the smashed garlic. Cook until the garlic starts to lightly brown.
3. Add breadcrumbs and whole herbs. Stir to break up any clumps.
4. Toast, stirring semi-frequently, for about 6 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are uniformly golden brown.
5. Remove from heat. Add lemon zest and season with salt and black pepper.
6. Once the toasted breadcrumbs have cooled slightly, add grated cheese and chopped parsley. Reserve.
For the Roasted Asparagus:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash the asparagus, especially the tips, and trim off the woody ends.
3. Dress the spears in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and dried chili flake. Lay on a baking sheet in a single layer.
4. Roast for 6-8 minutes or until the asparagus starts to brown and is just tender.
5. Transfer to a serving platter. Top generously with lemon breadcrumbs.