PURPLE POTATO “TOSTONES”
Once you recover from seeing the sheer beauty of these purple potatoes, you will realize they are as delicious as they are visually appealing. Twice cooked with a simple vinegar and garlic dipping sauce for the win.
2 cloves garlic, grated
¾ cup white distilled vinegar
Purple Potato “Tostones”
1 pound purple potatoes
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cups vegetable oil
2 tsp sea salt
to taste freshly ground black pepper
For Garlic Vinegar:
1. Grate garlic cloves on a microplane or the smallest holes on a cheese grater.
2. In a small bowl, combine grated garlic with white distilled vinegar. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes. Set aside.
For Purple Potato “Tostones”:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Toss potatoes in extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp salt. Lay out on a baking sheet lined with foil, and bake until tender, approximately 20 minutes. Reserve.
3. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, smash them individually with the heel of the palm into flat discs, about ¼ inch thick.
4. In a flat bottomed pan, add enough vegetable oil to fill ½ inch. Warm over medium high heat.
5. Carefully place smashed potatoes in the pan. Shallow fry on each side for 3-4 minutes or until browned and crispy.
6. Transfer to a tray or plate lined with paper towels. Season both sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Serve with garlic vinegar and your favorite fresh chilies.