PASTA WITH BROCCOLI KALE PESTO AND WHITE BEANS
Pesto is a versatile sauce, feel free to add walnuts or sunflower seeds to this recipe. It also freezes well, for when you want a quick and delicious dose of vegetables.
Broccoli Kale Pesto
3 cups broccoli florets
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp garlic, finely minced
3 cups kale, washed, destemmed, and torn into pieces
2 pinches chili flake (optional)
½ tsp dried oregano
1 each lemon zest
1 tsp sea salt
6 oz dry or fresh pasta
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp anchovy, chopped
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup broccoli kale pesto
to taste lemon zest
Parmesan cheese, grated
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
For the Broccoli Kale Pesto:
1. Steam or blanch broccoli florets until just tender and still bright green. Shock in an ice bath. Drain, and reserve.
2. In a medium saucepan, warm ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add minced garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
4. Add chili flake (optional) and dried oregano.
5. Add kale. Stir to coat in garlic and oil. Saute until kale softens, but is still bright green, approximately 3 minutes. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
6. Transfer sauteed kale to a plate or bowl to cool slightly.
7. In batches in the food processor, chop broccoli florets and sauteed kale finely. Combine in a medium mixing bowl.
8. Stir in the remaining extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. Season with lemon zest.
1. Cook your favorite pasta shape in salted water according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup cooking water, and strain.
2. While the pasta is cooking, warm extra virgin olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add anchovy and cook briefly for 1 minute.
3. Add white beans. Stir to coat beans in oil and anchovy. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine cooked pasta and beans. Add broccoli pesto. Adjust consistency with reserved pasta cooking water. Season to taste with lemon zest, extra virgin olive oil, grated parmesan, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.