You can enjoy this eggplant hot out of the oven with steamy rice or cool with a bowl of chilled noodles. Either way, it is an umami blast aimed straight at your taste buds.
1 lb mini eggplants
2 tbsp vegetable oil
¾ tsp sea salt
2 each garlic cloves, grated
1 tbsp ginger, grated
3 tbsp white miso paste
½ tsp chili paste (optional)
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice eggplants down the middle, lengthwise. Dress with vegetable oil and season with sea salt.
3. Place eggplant on lined baking sheet. Roast until they start to brown and are tender, approximately 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove the eggplant from the oven, and change the oven setting to broil.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine grated garlic, grated ginger, miso paste, chili paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, and brown sugar. Whisk until fully combined.
6. Brush the mixture onto the eggplant. Place under the broil, and continue to roast until the eggplant turns deep brown, approximately 5 minutes.
7. Transfer to a serving platter. Top with toasted sesame seeds, chopped scallion, and cilantro leaves.