MARINATED BEETS WITH RICOTTA AND HERBS
A simple salad with simple pleasures, this one has deep, earthy roasted beets crowned with fresh spring herbs. Marinate the beets up to a day in advance to bring out more sweetness.
3 medium red beets, scrubbed
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp sea salt
6 cracks freshly ground black pepper
½ tbsp shallot, diced
2 cups roasted beets, medium dice
¼ cup beet marinade
½ cup ricotta cheese
½ cup mixed herbs, roughly chopped- tarragon, mint, dill, chives
Roast the beets
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Toss the beets in olive oil and tightly wrap individually in foil
3. Roast on a tray for approximately 40 minutes or until a knife inserted feels no resistance.
4. Once cool enough to handle but still warm, rub off the skins.
5. Cut into medium sized dice and reserve.
Make the marinade
1. Combine vinegar, salt, black pepper, and shallot in a mixing bowl.
2. Whisk in extra virgin olive oil.
3. If not using right away, the dressing will separate as it sits. Just give it a quick whisk to bring back together before using.
Assemble the dish
1. Toss roasted beet dice in beet marinade. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
2. Roughly chop a mix of spring herbs (tarragon, mint, dill, and/or chives) and reserve.
3. Spread ricotta cheese in the base of a bowl.
4. Spoon marinated beets into a pile in the center of the ricotta. Feel free to drizzle any excess marinade over the beets.
5. Liberally sprinkle chopped herbs over the beets. Finish with some flaky salt and any crunchy topping you might have on hand- crushed pistachios or almonds, poppy seeds, or chia seeds.