Grilled Summer Squash with Pesto Mayo
No summer is complete without grilled summer squash. And with such a simple preparation, it just might become your newest summer tradition.
Grilled Summer Squash
2 each summer squash, split lengthwise
½ tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp sea salt
8 cracks freshly ground black pepper
1 cup, packed basil leaves
½ cup, packed parsley leaves
½ clove garlic or 2 tbsp sliced garlic scape
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp pesto
½ each lemon zest
To taste parmesan, grated
coarse sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
dried chili flakes (optional)
For the Basil Pesto:
1. Combine basil leaves, parsley leaves, garlic, sea salt, and vegetable oil in the food processor. Process until the herbs are chopped finely.
2. Add extra virgin olive oil, plus more to achieve desired consistency. Set aside or store refrigerated for up to 3 days.
For the Grilled Summer Squash:
1. Preheat the grill to medium high.
2. Toss the summer squash pieces in vegetable oil. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Place squash on the grill, cut side down.Grill until just tender, approximately 5-8 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Cut into medium sized pieces.
1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, pesto, and zest of half a lemon. Stir until fully combined.
2. Spoon pesto mayo onto a serving platter. Arrange grilled summer squash pieces on top of the mayo.
3. Finish with grated parmesan and lemon zest over top. Season with coarse sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and dried chili flakes (optional).