18-MINUTE PASSOVER MATZO
So much tastier than store bought, with just a few ingredients, you can make this matzo at home. Traditionally, from the moment the water is added, you have just 18 minutes to get the dough into the oven. Set a timer and challenge yourself, do not worry about making them even. Remember, all shapes are beautiful, and they each taste the same on the inside.
4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp honey
3/4 cup water
1. Start by preheating your oven to 475 degrees, if you have a pizza stone, place it in your oven.
2. Prepare your work surface, by lightly dusting a large cutting board or your countertop liberally with extra flour.
3. Have a rolling pin ready.
4. Have a fork ready for pricking the dough.
To make the dough
First set your timer for 18 minutes!
1. Mix together the flour and kosher salt in a large bowl and make a well.
2. Melt the honey in the warm water and drizzle in the Olive oil.
3. Now, quickly pour the water honey, oil mixture into the well and start your timer.
4. Mix quickly with your hands to form a firm dough. Add in a little extra water if needed. Try not to overwork the dough.
5. Once your dough is formed, cut it into 8 even pieces, and immediately begin rolling out each piece on your floured surface. Add more flour as needed and roll as thin as you can, using the flour to prevent sticking.
6. When all the dough is rolled out, brush off excess flour and place onto baking sheets.
7. Prick all over with tines of your fork and sprinkle a bit more salt on top.
8. Place in the oven and cook for about 1- 1 ½ minutes or until it begins to mottle golden brown.
9. Open the oven door and flip the matzo over and bake from about 1 more minute.
10. Remove immediately and cool on racks.
Pro tip: If you feel like “cheffing” these up you can add different spice mixes to the top to make different flavors. Some fennel seed is really nice, as is a nice zataar spice blend.