FENNEL AND STRAWBERRY SALAD
Don’t wait for dessert to enjoy the fruits of the season. Sweet and petite strawberries pair perfectly with fennel and lime in this raw and crunchy salad.
Pickled Spring Onions
3 each spring onion bulbs, cut into ¼ inch rings
½ cup white wine or rice wine vinegar
¼ cup water
½ tbsp sugar
½ tbsp sea salt
Fennel and Strawberry Salad
1 each fennel bulb, sliced thinly
¼ cup strawberries, de stemmed and halved
6 each pickled spring onion rings
½ each lime, zest and juice
1 pinch coarse sea salt
½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp mint leaves, torn
For Pickled Spring Onions:
1. Separate spring onion bulb slices into individual rings and place in a medium bowl. Reserve.
2. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and sea salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, being sure to dissolve the sugar and salt.
3. As soon as the solution comes to a boil, remove from heat and pour over spring onion rings. Allow to sit at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
For Fennel and Strawberry Salad:
1. Separate fennel slices and arrange loosely on a plate.
2. Arrange strawberries on top of fennel.
3. Place pickled onion rings on top of salad.
4. Zest and juice ½ lime over top.
5. Garnish with torn mint leaves.
6. Sprinkle 1 pinch coarse sea salt, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.