NYC Apartment Elote
Inspired by Serious Eats
Makes: 4 servings
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija
(or ½ cup grated cauliflower mixed with 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (or Dig's Garlic Tofu Aioli)
- ¼ cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- ½ teaspoon guajillo chili powder (plus more for garnish)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 ears fresh summer corn, shucked and halved
- 1 limes, cut in 8 wedges
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayo, sour cream, Cotija cheese, guajillo chili powder, garlic, and chopped cilantro. Mix until you’ve got yourself a nice homogeneous sauce goin’. Set aside
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat two to three tablespoons of avocado oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place each piece of corn in the pan and charr for one to two minutes per side.
- Transfer hot corn to the sauce bowl and use a spoon (or your pro tossing skills) to coat the cobs. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with more cheese (MORE CHEESE!), a sprinkle of chili powder, a few cilantro leaves, and the lime wedges.
Pro tips: Living in NYC can be hard. Unless you tricked your landlord into putting a grill on your fire escape, getting that summer charr can be hard to come by at home. But as the old adage goes: “Fake it ‘till you make it!” Mimic that glorious grill by using avocado oil for it’s super high smoke point and a medium-high flame. Careful for curtains.