CAULIFLOWER CACIO E PEPE
Craving pasta, but don’t want heavy indulgence? Looking to add more vegetables to your diet? Light on milk and cheese at the moment? This dairy free version of a pasta classic is the solution to many of your problems.
¼ cup + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 each shallot or 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
2 each garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 each cauliflower head, cut into 2” pieces (including stem)
¼ cup water or vegetable stock
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
2 tsp sea salt
Cacio e Pepe
½ lb spaghetti
1 - 1½ cup cauliflower puree
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
to taste sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
lemon zest (optional)
1. Warm ¼ cup olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
2. Add shallot and garlic slices. Cook until they start to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add cauliflower, season with half the salt, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add water or vegetable stock to the pan and cover with a lid. Allow to steam over medium heat for 10 minutes or until very tender.
5. Once all ingredients are very tender, transfer to a blender. Puree until very smooth. While the motor is running, stream in 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with nutritional yeast and salt.
Cacio e Pepe:
1. Cook spaghetti in well seasoned water according to the package directions.
2. While the pasta is cooking, warm the cauliflower puree in a large saute pan over medium low heat.
3. When the pasta is ready, reserve 1 cup of starchy pasta water, then strain.
4. Add pasta to the pan with the cauliflower puree and toss to coat.
5. Adjust consistency with starchy pasta water.
6. Season with nutritional yeast and generous freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.