BROCCOLI CORN CAKES
If you love corn, these cakes are for you. If you love broccoli, these cakes are also for you!
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp shallot, minced
3 each garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried chili flakes
1 cup broccoli, chopped finely
4 cups water and/or vegetable broth
1 cups coarse grits
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cups corn kernels
2 tbsp sea salt
1. Warm vegetable oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat.
2. Add shallot and garlic. Saute until the shallot is translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add chopped broccoli. Season with sea salt and chili flakes and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add grits, and turn down to a simmer. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes or until the grits thicken and are tender.
5. Remove from heat. Fold in nutritional yeast and corn kernels. Season to taste with sea salt.
6. Transfer the grits to a baking sheet lined with greased parchment paper. Spread into an even layer. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate to set and cool completely.
7. Once the corn cake is firm, cut into equal sized squares.
8. To serve, brown both sides in a saute pan with oil or butter until warm in the middle. Finish with butter, honey, or cheese.