BOK CHOY WITH CHILLED GINGER SESAME NOODLES
The time of year for chilled dishes is finally here! Quick and straightforward, it will take longer to cool the ingredients in this recipe than to prepare them. So, relax and...chill.
2 cups veg stock
2 cups water
2 pieces star anise, whole
½ stick cinnamon
1 tbsp salt
4 oz rice noodles
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
4 cups bok choy, sliced thinly
½ tbsp sea salt
Ginger Sesame Dressing
1 tsp ginger, minced
2 tsp white miso paste
¼ cup rice noodle cooking liquid
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp sea salt
½ each lime, juiced
¼ cup vegetable oil
For the Chilled Noodles:
1. Place rice noodles in a large mixing bowl.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Be sure to dissolve the salt completely.
3. As soon as the liquid comes to a boil, pour over the rice noodles. Stir to separate the noodles.
4. Let the noodles sit in the hot liquid for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the noodles are not sticking.
5. Once tender, strain the noodles from the liquid. Discard the whole spices. Reserve ¼ cup of the liquid and chill the noodles.
For the Bok Choy:
1. Separate the stalks of the bok choy, and lay them flat in a stack. Slice thinly.
2. Wash the cut bok choy thoroughly in water. Allow to drain.
3. Warm vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
4. Add minced garlic and ginger, and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
5. Increase the heat to high. Add sliced bok choy. Quickly saute for 1 minute. Season with salt.
6. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towels to absorb the excess liquid from the bok choy. Chill completely.
For the Dressing:
1. Combine all ingredients except lime juice and vegetable oil in the blender. Blend until smooth.
2. With the motor running, stream in the vegetable oil.
3. Season with lime juice. Chill.
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chilled noodles and bok choy.
2. Add ginger sesame dressing, and toss to coat. Serve with toasted sesame seeds on top.