BEET HUMMUS WITH GREEN GARLIC GREMOLATA
Pretty in pink is a thing. Sweet beets collide with a creamy dip and the beginnings of spring.
2 each medium red beets, scrubbed
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 each lemon, peels
3 sprigs thyme or rosemary
1 tbsp sea salt
2 stalks green garlic, white only, slice thinly
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp dill, chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 each lemon, zested
¼ cup pistachios or almonds, chopped, toasted
¼ tsp sea salt
2 each roasted beets, rough dice
1 can chick-peas or other light colored bean (15.5 oz)
2 tbsp tahini
½ ea lemon, juiced
2 tbsp water
¼ cup green garlic oil (from gremolata)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a deep roasting pan with foil and place a rack inside.
3. Toss the beets in olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt.
4. Place them on the rack in the roasting pan with lemon peel, and herbs.
5. Add 4 cups of water to the bottom of the tray then cover tightly in foil.
6. Roast the beets for 1 hour or until tender. You should be able to insert a fork and
feel no resistance.
7. Allow beets to cool slightly. Peel while warm, rubbing off the skins with a paper towel.
8. Roughly dice the beets and reserve.
1. Warm a small saute pan on medium low heat. Add green garlic and oil. Cook gently until tender and oil is infused with garlic flavor, approximately 10 minutes.
2. Once softened, strain the green garlic and cool. Reserve the oil to finish the hummus.
3. Mix green garlic with the rest of the ingredients.
1. In a food processor, combine diced roasted beet, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and water.
2. Process on high for 30 seconds until well incorporated.
3. With the motor running, stream in garlic oil.
4. Season with salt and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the green garlic gremolata.