ASPARAGUS AND GLAZED ONION TART
As beautiful as it is delicious, additional toppings for this tart can include lemon zest, soft boiled eggs, hot sauce, or ham. Sounds like breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner.
1 each medium onion
½ cup water
1 tbsp butter
3 cracks freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch sea salt
Asparagus and Onion Tart
1 piece puff pastry
2 ½ tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
½ cup asparagus, trimmed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp picked herbs (dill, parsley, basil)
For the Glazed Onions:
1. Peel the onion and cut into rings about ½ inch thick.
2. In a medium sauté pan, add onion rings, water and salt.
3. Bring the water to a simmer and cook the onions until translucent, about 5-6 minutes. There should be about 1/8 cup of water left in the pan at this point.
4. Gently stir in the butter. Continue to cook until the water and butter begin to glaze the onions.
5. Finish with black pepper, and set aside.
To Assemble the Tart:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll the puff pastry out to a 10x14 rectangle, and transfer to a parchment lined tray.
3. Gently score the sides with a fork about 1” from the border and poke small holes throughout the middle of the pastry.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Toss the asparagus with olive oil and salt.
5. Remove tart from the oven and top with glazed onions.
6. Add a sprinkling of crumbled goat cheese.
7. Arrange seasoned asparagus on top and cover with another sprinkling of goat cheese.
8. Bake for another 20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool slightly. Finish with picked herbs.